This is something that I learned while I was in the hospital recovering from a severe manic episode. The practice is using mindfulness and meditation and is used whenever I am anxious or having racing thoughts.
It can be practiced anywhere but is best if you can find a quiet spot.
The idea is to take a piece of candy in a wrapper and focus on it.
We are going to use all five senses.
- Don’t unwrap the candy (I’m using a DOVE chocolate) yet. Instead, feel the texture and shape noticing if smooth or rough.
- Slowly unwrap the chocolate and listen to the sound of the wrapper (in my case foil) as it opens and bends to reveal the item inside.
- Smell the chocolate and feel the soft texture.
- Now put the chocolate in your mouth but don’t chew it yet. Let it melt in your mouth. What does it feel like as it rolls over your tongue.
- What does it taste like? Sweet.
- Continue to notice all the details of the experience with all your senses that you can muster.
Keep focused on the chocolate and let every other thought drift away.